Now that spring has officially arrived, there will be blooming flowers, bright days, and new places to discover. Although the Spring season is upon us, there are certain risks for our furry friends. It is revealed that 4.6 million dog owners believe their pet has fallen ill after consuming something poisonous whilst on a walk.
The experts at Puppy Hero wanted to outline the most typical risks to our canine friends throughout Spring and provide advice on how to keep them safe during the warmer months. To do this, they examined several threats and determined which ones were most important to keep dogs safe this season.
Common risks for your dog this Spring
Flowers and plants
Representative of rebirth and new beginnings, the spring flower daffodil may look pretty. Unfortunately, a daffodil bulb is poisonous and can trigger severe vomiting and diarrhoea among our pets. In this case, it is best to avoid planting Daffodils in your garden and keep an eye out for your dog during walks.
Tulips, Amaryllis, and Hyacinth
These flower bulbs aren’t as lethal as daffodils, but if eaten in large quantities these spring flowers can irritate a dog’s mouth and gastrointestinal tract, thus resulting in drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. In serious cases, some may suffer heart problems and breathing difficulties; to refrain from this happening, it is recommended to stay clear.
Rhododendrons and Azaleas
Pretty in pink, these flowers are deceiving as they contain a highly toxic substance called grayanotoxin that can cause nausea, vomiting and breathing difficulties if eaten by your pooch. The best thing to do when picking your flower seeds is to opt for pet-friendly ornamental flowering shrubs.
This bold and bright yellow flower symbolises purity, happiness and friendship, but deep in their core they are poisonous and toxic for dogs to consume. This little ray of brightness can cause drooling, vomiting and seizures among our pets; therefore, extra care in overgrown fields and meadows is required.
Fertilisers, Insecticides, and Herbicides
These are commonly used to combat pests, insects and diseases. Although they aren’t a huge risk to dogs, if direct contact such as brushing against or swallowing occurs then our furry friends may be at risk from life-threatening poisoning and can result in clinical signs of drooling, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea.
This can be great to increase soil vitality and can improve the attractiveness of flower beds, but much like chocolate, the soil contains theobromine which is lethal to dogs. Try to use this sparingly and if your dog has consumed this then make sure to seek veterinary help as quickly as possible.
Slug and Snail Pellets
Again, pellets are another chemical used to deter garden pests. Snails come out of hibernation in the warmer months, such as April, and the pellets used to control them can be toxic to our pets. A way to ensure you get rid of the pests whilst maintaining a healthy and safe life for your pup is by avoiding products that contain metaldehyde and by scattering pellets sporadically.
Out and about
Wasps and Bees
Everyone knows how much these stripey, flying insects love flowers, and spring can be the season that we see them most! However, curiosity always gets the better of our furry friends, which can lead to a nasty sting on the nose – but most stings are not emergencies. However, if the sting is in the mouth or neck, or the dog is allergic. Then veterinary help may be essential.
Slugs and Snails
In almost every garden, you will find these slow-moving, slimy creatures, and while they seem harmless, it turns out that for dogs, it is extremely important to keep the two away from each other. Unfortunately, they carry a fatal disease called Lungworm, which comes from eating slugs and snails, as they carry the parasite. To avoid your dog catching this, you should keep your dog up to date with worming treatments.
Plastic Easter Grass
An alternative to natural grass which can deceive the pet’s eye, if any animal or pet ingests this, it won’t poison them but can lead to intestinal blockage, just like if they ate other plastic items such as toys or bones. Instead of using plastic grass, substitute it for tissue paper and make sure to see a vet if they have ingested anything plastic.
Food and drink
Easter is known for its chocolate treats and sweet desserts, but a stimulant called theobromine works similarly to caffeine, which is poisonous to dogs. The best thing is to keep easter eggs out of reach and supervise when the rich treat is indulged.
Hot Cross Buns
A famous baked good, hot cross buns, contain grapes, raisins, currants, and sultanas, which are toxic to dogs and could be a choking hazard. The best way to stop dogs from getting these is by disposing of leftovers correctly.
Typically a topping or meal enhancer, this vegetable can cause stomach irritation and red blood cell damage leading to anaemia. Still, in general, all types of onions can have a negative impact on our pooches, so it is best to get rid of any leftovers carefully.